About The Friends of the South Coastal Library
The Friends of the South Coastal Library is a non-profit, all-volunteer fund raising organization founded in 1988 and dedicated to providing support for the services and resources of the library.
We believe an excellent library is a community asset that reinforces learning and provides access to a diverse range of information, thought, and opinion for all. Your contribution as a Friend of the South Coastal Library supports this community value.
The Friends believe strongly that a modern, comfortable facility, coupled with the latest tools of the information age, can make our library an outstanding resource to our community.
The Friends do the following:
- Enhance the library services beyond what would be possible with only Sussex County funding.
- Continue to raise money for:
- Adult & children's programs & exhibits
- Children's school programs
- Special library book collections
- Copy machine
- Computer equipment
- Landscaping and lawn care
- Provide education about the library programs and services through:
- Friends' newsletter, The Connection
- Local publications
- Website - www.FOSCL.com
- Coordinate the annual Beach & Bay Cottage Tour and other fund raising efforts, such as biannual book sales.
FOSCL raised the money to build the library on Kent Avenue in 1994. In 2006, we embarked on a Capital Campaign and in three years raised over $2 million to expand the library to its current size.